The Mazes & Perils Role-playing Game (MnP) takes a page from the first wave of the Old School Renaissance (OSR) when it wasn’t OLD at all… Inspired by the 1977 “Holmes” edition of the world’s most popular role-playing game, it shuns pages and pages of rules for a simpler time when House rules were the order of the day.
First released in 2012, MnP drew a line on the map of OSR retroclones as something easy to pick up and play where your heroes weren’t superheroes. There are no superpowers here. Fighters have swords and armor. Clerics have their faith. Thieves skulk in the shadows seeking better items to steal. And Magic-Users sling magics at their foes until it runs out. This style of gaming is about grit and wit – and if you die, it must be time to roll up a new character.
The original copy won Gold at the Ennies in 2013, but is no longer available for download.
Now in 2016, Vince Florio and I have been working on a new version of MnP – with some new classes, new spells, new optional rules, and a new look! Mazes & Perils Deluxe offers everything you liked about the original with a new coat of paint and a few new tools in the toolbox! New bits include:
- New Class – The Enchanter – along with 20+ new spells in his arsenal
- New Class – The Shaman – along with nearly 20 new spells of his own
- Rules for Variable Damage for Weapons and Variable Hit Dice
- New layout, more art, and plenty of editing
- 75 pages of gaming goodness!
It is available at:
- DriveThruRPG (PDF and Softcover)
- RPGNow (PDF and Softcover)
- The Open Gaming Store (PDF and Softcover)
- Tabletop Library (PDF)
Looking for more information or have questions? Join our Google+ Community!
Here’s a taste of what you have to look forward to!
- Halfling’s Luck: Mazes & Perils Deluxe
- Class Struggles: Mazes & Perils Deluxe Edition (The Other Side blog)